The proposed encampment ban ordinance will go before San Diego City Council for its second reading on Tuesday, June 27th. It is scheduled for the morning session beginning at 10am under the consent agenda, Item: 58: Amendments to the San Diego Municipal Code Related to the Unauthorized Camping or Encampments on Public Property.
If passed, this ordinance will criminalize sleeping on public property including streets in the City of San Diego. We know that shelter space is limited and the high cost of housing is an issue for migrants in our region. Criminalizing homelessness will not only have a harmful impact on migrants which can lead to deportation but also has a negative impact on a lot of the homelessness and shelter work being done by organizations whose resources are already stretched thin.
This fight isn’t over yet. We need all hands on deck and are asking all of you to take action with us!
Here are the ways we need your to support unhoused community members:
1. Join Us in Asking the San Diego City Council to Adopt a Plan, Not a Ban, to Address Homelessness! Sign the petition today.
2. Show up in person on June 27 at 9 AM
Join us in person at the City Council meeting on June 27 at 9 am. at the City Administration Building, City Council Chambers - 12th Floor, at 202 C Street, San Diego, CA.
You can also join the council meeting virtually or by phone at:
- Virtual Participation: https://sandiego.zoomgov.com/j/1601143486
- Telephone Participation:: Dial 1-669-254 5252 + input Webinar ID: 160 114 3486
2. Submit a public comment before Tuesday
Submit a public comment using the Agenda Comment Form asking the City Council to oppose the encampment ban ordinance, and to instead update and adopt the Community Action Plan on Homelessness in 2019. On the Agenda Comment Form, indicate the Agenda Item Numbers, which include:
- Item 58: Amendments to the San Diego Municipal Code Related to the Unauthorized Camping or Encampments on Public Property.