Alliance San Diego is a community-based human rights organization whose mission is to build collective power to create a more inclusive democracy. Our goal is to shape a future where all people are treated with dignity and respect, and everyone can achieve their full potential in an environment of harmony, safety, equality and justice.
We build power by developing leaders, engaging communities, advocating for policies, protecting rights, and communicating strategically. We focus on the issues most salient at the time. In its first fifteen years, Alliance San Diego has worked on education, immigration, policing, healthcare, tax and budget equity, and other issues. Though the issues we work on might change, our mission remains the same: build collective power to create an inclusive democracy. From changes in public discourse to changes in public policy, we have worked to ensure that community members are part of the decision-making that affects them.
We are seeking a Legal Rights Organizer to help advance the organization's efforts to promote human rights and educate the community. This position is also responsible for facilitating awareness of, and access to, legal rights and resources for diverse immigrant communities. This is a full-time hourly position.
A strong candidate will have community organizing experience and familiarity with immigrant experiences in the region. An ideal candidate will also have experience in immigrant rights services and/or human rights organizing. The ideal candidate will also be well organized and possess leadership qualities and experience working with diverse and/or marginalized communities.
The Legal Rights Organizer will report to the Legal Rights Director and will have the following responsibilities:
- Organize participants for immigrant integration workshops to advance human rights priorities.
- Field calls from immigrant community members seeking assistance and scheduling appointments or referrals as needed.
- Support Legal Rights Manager with workshop logistics.
- Design and facilitate community awareness events.
- Become a DOJ accredited representative and prepare applications, maintain files and represent individuals before USCIS.
- Experience working with diverse individuals
- Experience planning and organizing events
- Experience facilitating working with teams, partners, and/or coalitions
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice issues and understanding of challenges facing immigrant communities, communities of color, and low-income families
- Written and oral fluency in the Spanish language strongly preferred
- Interpersonal skills
- Effective communication skills in English and Spanish
- Time management
- Working with teams and fostering teamwork
- Analysis and problem solving
- Results-oriented and organized
- Compassionate service
- Conflict resolution
- Proficiency working with diverse communities and grassroots organizations
The Legal Rights Organizer position is offered as an hourly position at a rate of $28.85 to $30.77 (the equivalent of $60,000 to $64,000 a year for full-time work), depending on experience. We offer competitive pay increases based on annual performance reviews, competitive benefits, and a collaborative work environment with colleagues who are dedicated to human rights. Some travel, evening, weekend and holiday work may be required. To apply please provide a cover letter, resume and three references (a minimum of two professional references required) to the link below.
Alliance San Diego is an equal opportunity employer that encourages all people to apply. Applicants shall not be discriminated against based on religion, race, color, national origin, ethnicity, age, gender, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, or any other basis prohibited by law.