NOW HIRING: FINANCE MANAGER
Alliance San Diego is a community empowerment organization that is building a more inclusive democracy. Our mission is to empower diverse people and organizations to engage more effectively in our communities, and in the civic process, to create a San Diego where all people can achieve their full potential in an environment of harmony, safety, equality and justice. In so doing, we are making an impact at the local, state, and national level.
In its first ten years, Alliance San Diego has empowered and engaged underrepresented communities to create change and shape the future of San Diego and beyond. From changes in public discourse to changes in public policy, we have worked to ensure that affected community members have a seat at the decision-making tables and are fairly represented. We have done this with a full-time staff of twenty, thousands of canvassers and volunteers, and dozens of community partners.
We now seek a Finance Manager to manage the financial activities of the organization, provide accurate and timely reports, and ensure compliance with government requirements, grant requirements, and other financial requirements. The Finance Manager will report directly to and work closely with the Executive Director.
A strong candidate will have a financial background and experience in financial management, especially for nonprofit organizations. An ideal candidate will also have experience in preparing financial reports and successfully meeting compliance requirements for an organization. In addition, an ideal candidate will be very organized and have experience working with diverse and/or marginalized communities.
The Finance Manager will report to the Executive Director and will:
- Work with the Executive Director and Board Finance Committee to develop an annual budget, mid-year course correction, monthly financials, and reports on the organization’s financial health and programmatic financial position, making recommendations as needed to strengthen the financial condition of the organization.
- Assist development and program staff in preparing budget proposals for grants and work with them to review, track, and report on spending grants in accordance with grant terms.
- Manage expenses, reimbursements, vendors and consultants in accordance with organization’s financial policies and protocols.
- Monitor and help ensure that internals controls are in place and followed and that the organization is in compliance with external requirements such as government filing requirements, grant requirements and other financial requirements.
- Support the Board Audit Committee and serve as a liaison to an independent accounting firm to produce year-end audited financials and file taxes.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree required; financial degree preferred.
- Exceptional skills in Excel and Quickbooks.
- Three + years experience in financial management; nonprofit experience preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in fund accounting and working with multiple restricted and unrestricted grants as well as multi-year grants.
- Experience developing organizational, programmatic, and project budgets.
- Excellent financial and analytical skills including financial reporting and analysis, monthly variance analysis to budget, and other relevant measurement tools.
- Ability to communicate financial information, identify factors accounting for variances and contextualize financial information.
- Experience in managing expenses, reimbursements, and vendors.
- Experience in monitoring and ensuring compliance with internal and external financial controls and requirements including government and grant requirements.
- Demonstrated experience working with diverse and/or marginalized communities.
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice issues and understanding of challenges facing immigrant communities, communities of color, and low-income families.
- Organized and detail oriented
- Effective communication skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Time management
- Team player
- Strategic thinking
- Analysis and problem solving
- Compassionate service
- Resolving conflict
- Proficiency working with diverse communities and with grassroots organizations
Salary is commensurate with experience. We offer competitive pay and benefits and a collaborative work environment with colleagues who are dedicated to social justice.
To apply, please provide a cover letter, resume and three references (minimum of two professional references required) to [email protected].
Alliance San Diego is an equal opportunity employer that encourages all people to apply. Applicants shall not be discriminated against based on religion, race, color, national origin, ethnicity, age, gender, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, or any other basis prohibited by law.
For more information about Alliance San Diego, visit www.alliancesd.org.