Alliance San Diego is a community empowerment organization that is working to build a more inclusive and just democracy. Our mission is to empower diverse people and organizations to engage more effectively in the civic process to bring about the change we need so that all people can achieve their full potential in an environment of harmony, safety, equality and justice.
In its first decade, Alliance San Diego has empowered and engaged underrepresented communities to create change and shape the future of San Diego and beyond. From changes in public discourse to changes in public policy, we have worked to ensure that affected community members have a seat at the decision-making tables and are fairly represented.
We are seeking a Communications Director to develop strategic communication initiatives across our programs to advance our work at the local, state and national level. The communications director will be an integral part of the organization’s senior leadership team and will lead a team of passionate and dedicated communicators committed to social justice.
Strong candidates will have a successful track record of developing and implementing integrated communication campaigns across traditional and digital media, and have experience crafting and pushing forward narratives to create the space for legislative change. This includes working with people from diverse backgrounds, coalition members and legislative offices and elected officials. The communications director will work closely with our Legal, Policy, Civic Engagement and Advancement departments.
The Communications Director will report to the Executive Director and will have the following responsibilities:
- Develop integrated communication strategies to advance messages and frames aligned with organizational mission across all media platforms
- Lead earned media strategies to maximize exposure of programs and campaigns, while building and maintaining relationships with media and communication stakeholders
- Developed original content strategies that are timely, relevant and connected
- Manage and maintain branding for Alliance San Diego and associated programs
- Manage communication department staff and vendors
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- At least 7 years of leadership experience in marketing and communications, including team management
- Excellent copywriting and editing skills
- Able to thrive in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines
- Established relationship with members of the media at the local and national level
- Experience with the latest communication technologies and tools
- Experience in stakeholder/community engagement
- Experience with cross-functional leadership and staff engagement
- Strong and confident leadership
- Proficiency working with diverse communities and with grassroots organizations
- Proficiency in spoken and written Spanish language preferred
- Analysis and problem solving
- Time management
- Organization skills
- Effective written and oral communication
- Self-motivated – proven ability to work independently
- Strategic thinking
- Leadership and empowerment
- Compassionate service
- Resolving conflict
- Fostering Teamwork
- Understanding of social justice issues and challenges facing immigrant communities, communities of color, and working class families
Compensation is commensurate with experience. We offer competitive pay and benefits, as well as a collaborative work environment with colleagues who are dedicated to social justice. To apply please provide a cover letter, resume and three references (minimum of two professional references required) to email@example.com.
Alliance San Diego is an equal opportunity employer that encourages all people to apply. Applicants shall not be discriminated against based on religion, race, color, national origin, ethnicity, age, gender, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, or any other basis prohibited by law.