Alliance San Diego is a community-based human rights organization whose mission is to build collective power to create a more inclusive democracy. Our goal is to shape a future where all people are treated with dignity and respect, and everyone can achieve their full potential in an environment of harmony, safety, equality and justice.
We build power by developing leaders, engaging communities, advocating for policies, protecting rights, and communicating strategically. We focus on the issues most salient at the time. In its first fifteen years, Alliance San Diego has worked on education, immigration, policing, healthcare, tax and budget equity, and other issues. Though the issues we work on might change, our mission remains the same: build collective power to create an inclusive democracy. From changes in public discourse to changes in public policy, we have worked to ensure that community members are part of the decision-making that affects them.
We are seeking a Communications Director to develop strategic communication initiatives across our programs to advance our work at the local, state and national levels. The Communications Director will be an integral part of the organization's senior leadership team and will lead a team of passionate and dedicated communicators committed to human rights.
Strong candidates will have a successful track record of developing and implementing integrated communication campaigns across traditional and digital media, and have experience crafting and pushing forward narratives to create the space for policy change. This includes working with people from diverse backgrounds, coalition members and legislative offices and elected officials. The communications director will work closely with the Executive Director and with the Civic Engagement, Policy, Legal, Advancement Legal, Policy, Civic Engagement and Advancement directors to advance the mission of the organization.
The Communications Director will report to the Executive Director and will have the following responsibilities:
- Develop integrated communication strategies to advance messages and frames aligned with the organizational mission across all media platforms.
- Lead earned media strategies to maximize exposure of our work, while building and maintaining relationships with media and communication stakeholders.
- Develop original content strategies that are timely, relevant and connected to advancing our mission and elevating our program work.
- Manage and maintain branding for Alliance San Diego and associated programs, including the regional and national coalitions we host.
- Manage communication department staff, vendors and internal organizational communication infrastructure (listservs, etc).
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree required
- At least 7 years of leadership experience in marketing and communications, including team management
- Excellent copywriting and editing skills
- Able to thrive in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines
- Established relationships with members of the media at the local and national level
- Experience with the latest communication technologies and tools
- Experience in stakeholder/community engagement
- Experience with cross-functional leadership and staff engagement
- Strong and confident leadership
- Proficiency in working with diverse communities and grassroots organizations
- Proficiency in spoken and written Spanish language preferred
- Analysis and problem solving
- Time management
- Organization skills
- Effective written and oral communication
- Self-motivated - proven ability to work independently
- Strategic thinking
- Leadership and empowerment
- Compassionate service
- Resolving conflict
- Fostering Teamwork
- Understanding of social justice issues and challenges facing immigrant communities, communities of color, and working-class families
The Communications Director position is offered as a salaried position. Compensation is between $120,000 and $130,000 per year, commensurate with experience. We offer competitive pay increases based on annual performance reviews, competitive benefits, and a collaborative work environment with colleagues who are dedicated to human rights. While working from San Diego County is preferred, it is not required. Some travel, evening, weekend and holiday work may be required. To apply please provide a cover letter, resume and three references (a minimum of two professional references required) to the link below.
Alliance San Diego is an equal opportunity employer that encourages all people to apply. Applicants shall not be discriminated against based on religion, race, color, national origin, ethnicity, age, gender, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, or any other basis prohibited by law.