Alliance San Diego is a community empowerment organization that is working to build a more inclusive and just democracy. Our mission is to empower diverse people and organizations to engage more effectively in the civic process to bring about the change we need so that all people can achieve their full potential in an environment of harmony, safety, equality and justice.
In its first ten years, Alliance San Diego has empowered and engaged underrepresented communities to create change and shape the future of San Diego and beyond. From changes in public discourse to changes in public policy, we have worked to ensure that affected community members have a seat at the decision-making tables and are fairly represented.
We now seek a Digital Communications Assistant to execute communications strategies, with a focus on supporting our social media work and email communications efforts across our programs. This position is a key member of a fast-paced and passionate communications team. The person in this position will be housed in our Communication department and work closely with our Legal, Policy, Civic Engagement and Advancement departments.
A strong candidate understands the role of marketing and communications in changing policies at the local, state and national level. They will also have experience working professionally with the major social media platforms and creating email communications. A strong candidate is able to identify and post timely relevant content on social media in engaging and creative ways, as well as generate basic analytic reports. An ideal candidate is a natural storyteller who can craft engaging and conversational topics while strategically using multiple modes of communication to inspire action that helps push our narratives forward. An ideal candidate has a curious and creative mind, exemplary attitude and exceptional work ethic. An ideal candidate is also passionate about working with diverse and/or marginalized communities.
The Digital Communications Assistant will report to the Communications Director and will have the following responsibilities:
- Create, edit, publish and share daily content across social media platforms
- Moderate user-generated content in line with the moderation policy for each community
- Write and send timely segmented emails in support of programmatic work
- Support other department needs (includes writing, cms, event coordination)
- Produce monthly social and email reports
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree required (major in communication or marketing preferred)
- At least 1-3 years experience in marketing and communications
- Excellent copywriting and communication skills
- Experience in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with social media management tools such as HootSuite
- Experience with email and contact management platforms such as Mailchimp, NationBuilder or Constant Contact
- Able to use standard CMS programs to publish web pages
- Knowledge of Powerpoint and Microsoft Office Suite
- Proficiency working with diverse communities and with grassroots organizations
- Analysis and problem solving
- Time management
- Organization skills
- Results-oriented and organized
- Effective communication
- Self-motivated – proven ability to work independently
- Strategic thinking
- Leadership and empowerment
- Compassionate service
- Resolving conflict
- Fostering Teamwork
- Understanding of social justice issues and challenges facing immigrant communities, communities of color, and working class families
Compensation is commensurate with experience. We offer competitive pay and benefits, as well as a collaborative work environment with colleagues who are dedicated to social justice. To apply please provide a cover letter, resume and three references (minimum of two professional references required) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alliance San Diego is an equal opportunity employer that encourages all people to apply. Applicants shall not be discriminated against based on religion, race, color, national origin, ethnicity, age, gender, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, or any other basis prohibited by law.