Alliance San Diego is a community empowerment organization that is building a more inclusive democracy. Our mission is to empower diverse people and organizations to engage more effectively in our communities, and in the civic process, to create a San Diego where all people can achieve their full potential in an environment of harmony, safety, equality and justice. In so doing, we are making an impact at the local, state, and national level.
In its first ten years, Alliance San Diego has empowered and engaged underrepresented communities to create change and shape the future of San Diego and beyond. From changes in public discourse to changes in public policy, we have worked to ensure that affected community members have a seat at the decision-making tables and are fairly represented. We have done this with a full-time staff of twenty, thousands of canvassers and volunteers, and dozens of community partners.
We now seek a Civic Engagement Organizer to build on our success in community and electoral organizing and position us for future success through expanding our outreach, education, and training. Reporting directly to the Associate Director and working closely with the civic engagement team, the Civic Engagement Organizer will work to achieve short-term and long-term civic engagement goals in alignment with the mission and vision of Alliance San Diego. The Civic Engagement Organizer will also work with the community and local/statewide coalitions.
A strong candidate will have experience in canvassing, issue-based grassroots organizing, and working with coalitions. The abilities to lead training, as well as use of latest technology are strongly desired. This position will implement strategies, field plans, and tactics to achieve the greatest success. The ideal candidate will have electoral field experience, effective leadership qualities, and experience working with diverse and marginalized communities.
The Civic Engagement Organizer reports to the Civic Engagement Manager and will:
- Organize community and stakeholder participation to advance civic engagement priorities
- Support Civic Engagement Manager to conduct seasonal civic engagement programs
- Identify, build relationships, and act as liaison to community groups and stakeholders
- Conduct leadership training of community members
- Design and facilitate community awareness events
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- At least 1 year experience in electoral, civic engagement, or political campaigns, with some relevant connection to community, labor, or other non-candidate politics
- Basic knowledge of local, state and federal and elected officials
- Experience in grassroots and/or community organizing
- Experience reporting and tracking results
- Experience in advocating for policies that impact communities of color, low-income and immigrant communities
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Familiarity with political data, latest technologies, and best practices in the field
- Proficiency working with diverse communities and with grassroots organizations
- Bi-lingual (Spanish or Tagalog) preferred
- Analysis and problem solving
- Time management
- Results-oriented and organized
- Effective communication
- Self-motivated – proven ability to work independently
- Governmental and Legislative structures
- Strategic thinking
- Leadership and empowerment
- Compassionate service
- Resolving conflict
- Fostering Teamwork
Some overnight and out-of-town travel required. Salary is commensurate with experience. We offer competitive pay and benefits and a collaborative work environment with colleagues who are dedicated to social justice.
To apply please provide a cover letter, resume and three references (minimum of two professional references required) to [email protected].
Alliance San Diego is an equal opportunity employer that encourages all people to apply. Applicants shall not be discriminated against based on religion, race, color, national origin, ethnicity, age, gender, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, or any other basis prohibited by law.