Alliance San Diego is a community empowerment organization that is working to build a more inclusive and just democracy. Our mission is to empower diverse people and organizations to engage more effectively in the civic process to bring about the change we need so that all people can achieve their full potential in an environment of harmony, safety, equality and justice.
As part of this work, we empower the Southern Border Communities Coalition (SBCC), which is a program of Alliance San Diego that brings together networks of organizations from California to Texas to (1) ensure that border enforcement policies and practices are accountable and fair, respect human dignity and human rights, and prevent the loss of life in the region, (2) promote policies and solutions that improve the quality of life in border communities, and (3) support rational and humane immigration reform policies affecting the border region.
We now seek a Border Research Manager who will be responsible for the overall management and collection of quantitative data, stories and other content for a public-facing, border-wide, informative and “real time” digital hub. The data and information gathered in the digital hub will support digital platforms including southernborder.org. This position is a key member of a fast-paced and passionate team at Alliance San Diego.
A strong candidate will be able to conduct research, analyze data, and synthesize findings in simple formats such as tables, charts, and other graphics, as well as in narratives. An ideal candidate is a natural at storytelling using data and testimonies, as well as generating creative content that will rise above the noise to resonate with the public, media, and policymakers. An ideal candidate has a curious and creative mind, exemplary attitude and exceptional work ethic. An ideal candidate is also passionate about and has experience working with diverse and/or marginalized communities.
The Border Research Manager will form part of the policy team at Alliance San Diego and report directly to the Executive Director, working closely with the program Director for SBCC and the Communications Director, and will:
- Identify available data sets on the US and Mexican side of the border from government and non-government sources
- Collect, dissect, and analyze data in order to aggregate and share out publicly
- Liaise with members of SBCC to collect and curate testimonials and stories that bring the data to life
- Prepare tables, charts, graphics, reports, blog posts, op-eds, emails, talking points, and other media content to convey data, stories, and narratives
- Work with communications team to publish and disseminate the prepared content
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree required
- At least 2-4 years experience in data research, analysis and interpretation
- Experience developing accurate, clear data-reporting formats (graphs, charts, etc)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience in a fast-paced environment
- Experience publishing content in digital formats (social media, websites, etc)
- Proficiency in Powerpoint, Excel, Google sheets and docs
- Proficiency working with diverse communities and with grassroots organizations
- Proficiency in written and/or spoken Spanish, a plus
- Analysis and problem solving
- Time management
- Organization skills
- Results-oriented and organized
- Effective communication
- Self-motivated – proven ability to work independently
- Strategic thinking
- Leadership and empowerment
- Compassionate service
- Resolving conflict
- Fostering Teamwork
- Understanding of social justice issues and challenges facing immigrant communities, communities of color, and working class families
Compensation is commensurate with experience. We offer competitive pay and benefits and a collaborative work environment with colleagues who are dedicated to social justice. To apply please send a cover letter, resume and three references (minimum of two professional references required) to [email protected].
Alliance San Diego is an equal opportunity employer that encourages all people to apply. Applicants shall not be discriminated against based on religion, race, color, national origin, ethnicity, age, gender, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, or any other basis prohibited by law.