NOW HIRING: HUMAN RIGHTS COUNSEL
Alliance San Diego is a community empowerment organization that is building a more inclusive democracy. Our mission is to empower diverse people and organizations to engage more effectively in our communities, and in the civic process, to create a San Diego where all people can achieve their full potential in an environment of harmony, safety, equality and justice. In so doing, we are making an impact at the local, state, and national level.
In its first ten years, Alliance San Diego has empowered and engaged underrepresented communities to create change and shape the future of San Diego and beyond. From changes in public discourse to changes in public policy, we have worked to ensure that affected community members have a seat at the decision-making tables and are fairly represented. We have done this with a full-time staff of twenty, thousands of canvassers and volunteers, and dozens of community partners.
We now seek an experienced immigration attorney to manage the legal services and legal advocacy for the organization as our Human Rights Counsel. Alliance San Diego staff has recently received recognition and accreditation from the Department of Justice to provide affirmative legal services (such as applications for naturalization, green card renewals, DACA, etc.) to integrate immigrants into our community. The Human Rights Counsel will oversee the launch of our legal service program, which will serve as another layer of our work to empower marginalized immigrant communities. Our process moves immigrants through a spectrum from undocumented to documented to resident to citizen to voter to engaged leader.
The Human Rights Counsel will also support the Executive Director in ongoing legal advocacy in the pursuit of justice and accountability for border residents who have been killed or abused by border authorities. This advocacy includes (but is not limited to) a petition before the Inter American Commission for Human Rights in the case of Anastasio Hernandez Rojas that Alliance San Diego has brought in conjunction with the UC Berkeley International Human Rights Law Clinic. The Human Rights Counsel will support this work and coordinate the organization’s efforts with partnering attorneys.
A strong candidate will have at least 3 years experience in immigration law, have case management experience, and be familiar with the diverse immigrant community in San Diego County. An ideal candidate will be fluent in Spanish and also have a familiarity with international law. They will also have leadership qualities and excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Lastly, the ideal candidate will have experience working with diverse and marginalized communities.
The Human Rights Counsel will report to the Executive Director and will:
- Lead the immigrant integration legal services program;
- Manage, supervise, and mentor the immigrant integration team;
- Plan and execute high-impact program delivery integrated with Alliance priorities;
- Support and coordinate legal advocacy in human rights cases; and
- Serve as a liaison, spokesperson, and ambassador for Alliance.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Law degree required;
- At least 3 years experience practicing immigration law;
- Case management experience;
- Team management experience;
- Excellent writing and communication skills;
- Familiarity with international human rights law;
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice issues;
- Understanding of challenges facing immigrant communities, communities of color, and other marginalized communities in San Diego.
- Fluent in Spanish (able to communicate with clients effectively)
- Leadership and empowerment;
- Strategic thinking and decision-making;
- Proficiency working with diverse communities;
- Knowledge of ways to use the law in the courts and in legislative bodies;
- Analysis and problem solving;
- Time management;
- Results-oriented and organized;
- Effective communication;
- Self-motivated – proven ability to work independently;
- Compassionate service;
- Resolving conflict; and
- Fostering Teamwork
Some overnight and out-of-town travel required. Salary is commensurate with experience. We offer competitive pay and benefits and a collaborative work environment with colleagues who are dedicated to social justice.
To apply please provide a cover letter, resume and three references (minimum of two professional references required) to the email address email@example.com.
Alliance San Diego is an equal opportunity employer that encourages all people to apply. Applicants shall not be discriminated against based on religion, race, color, national origin, ethnicity, age, gender, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, or any other basis prohibited by law.