Alliance San Diego is a community empowerment organization building coalitions to bring change in local, state, and national policy. Our mission is to empower diverse people & organizations to engage more effectively in our communities, and in the civic process, to create a San Diego where all people can achieve their full potential in an environment of harmony, safety, equality and justice. In so doing, we are making an impact at the local, state, and national level.
In its first ten years, Alliance San Diego has empowered and engaged underrepresented communities to create change and shape the future of San Diego and beyond. From changes in public discourse to changes in public policy, we have worked to ensure that affected community members have a seat at the decision-making tables and are fairly represented. We have done this with a full-time staff of less than 25 people, thousands of canvassers and volunteers, and dozens of community partners.
We now seek a Communications Coordinator to execute communications strategies, with a focus on creative design and multimedia production, across our programs. This position is a key member of a fast-paced and passionate communications team. This person in this position works closely with our Human Rights, Civic Engagement and Advancement departments.
A strong candidate will understand the role of marketing and communications in changing policies at the local, state and national level. A strong candidate will have superb graphic design skills and be able to explain complex issues in simple formats such as video, GIFs, memes and infographics. A strong candidate will be able to create websites and landing pages, maintain web properties, and generate basic analytic reports. An ideal candidate is a natural at visual storytelling, understanding the media cycle and generating creative content that can rise above the noise. An ideal candidate has a curious and creative mind, exemplary attitude and exceptional work ethic. An ideal candidate is also passionate about, and has experience working with diverse and/or marginalized communities.
The Communications Coordinator will report to the Communications Director and will have the following responsibilities:
- Create multimedia content, including videos and social media memes
- Manage the look, layout and features of Alliance San Diego digital properties
- Maintain and edit websites
- Manage print production and vendors
- Produce web analytics report
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree required (major in web/graphic design, communication or marketing preferred);
- At least 1-3 years experience in creative design, media and/or public relations;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Experience in a fast-paced environment;
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.
- Experience with Nationbuilder or Shopify platforms
- Experience with UX and UI
- Experience with video editing: Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere
- Able to shoot video with DSLR, record audio, set up lighting for video recording
- Able to create websites and landing pages
- Knowledge of Powerpoint and Microsoft Office Suite
- Knowledge of Wordpress
- Knowledge of Basic HTML & CSS
- Knowledge of Adobe After Effects
- Understanding of website hosting and managing backend
- Proficiency working with diverse communities and with grassroots organizations;
- Analysis and problem solving;
- Time management;
- Organization skills;
- Results-oriented and organized;
- Effective communication;
- Self-motivated – proven ability to work independently;
- Strategic thinking;
- Leadership and empowerment;
- Compassionate service:
- Resolving conflict;
- Fostering Teamwork;
- Understanding of social justice issues and challenges facing immigrant communities, communities of color, and working class families;
Compensation is commensurate with experience. We offer competitive pay and benefits and a collaborative work environment with colleagues who are dedicated to social justice. To apply please provide a cover letter, resume and three references (minimum of two professional references required) to [email protected]
Alliance San Diego is an equal opportunity employer that encourages all people to apply. Applicants shall not be discriminated against based on religion, race, color, national origin, ethnicity, age, gender, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, or any other basis prohibited by law.