Alliance San Diego is a community empowerment organization working to build a more inclusive and just democracy. Our mission is to empower diverse people and organizations to engage more effectively in the civic process to bring about the change we need, so that all people can achieve their full potential in an environment of harmony, safety, equality, and justice.
In its first fifteen years, Alliance San Diego has empowered and engaged underrepresented communities to create change and shape the future of San Diego and beyond. From shifts in public discourse to changes in public policy, ASD has worked to ensure that affected community members have a seat at decision-making tables and are fairly represented.
We are seeking a Civic Engagement Director to plan and execute ASD's signature voter engagement projects, community leadership development programs, and civic participation efforts to advance our work at the local, state, and national levels. The civic engagement director will be an integral part of the organization's senior leadership team and will lead a team of passionate and dedicated organizers who are committed to social justice.
Strong candidates will have a successful track record of developing and implementing strategic voter engagement campaigns; experience designing and conducting leadership, electoral organizing, and technical training; and have experience working in, and leading, coalitions at the regional or statewide level. The ideal candidate will have excellent knowledge of and proficiency in using voter database platforms, organizing contact tools and platforms, as well as project management tools and platforms. Great communication and people skills are a must in this role. This includes working with people from diverse backgrounds, coalitions, legislative offices, and elected officials. The civic engagement director will work closely with our Legal, Policy, Communications and Advancement departments to advance the mission of ASD.
The Civic Engagement Director will report to the Executive Director and will have the following responsibilities:
- Design and implement civic engagement strategies that advance ASD goals.
- Direct, supervise and develop the civic engagement team and volunteers.
- Design and implement community leadership development efforts.
- Direct civic participation and community organizing to advance ASD priorities.
- Represent ASD at relevant coalition, government, partner and community events.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent required
- At least 7 years of leadership experience in civic engagement, electoral, candidate or ballot initiative campaigns, including team supervision and management
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Able to thrive in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines
- Established network with colleagues/peers in civic participation community at the the local, state and national level
- Experience with the latest civic and voter engagement technologies and platforms
- Experience in stakeholder/community engagement
- Experience with cross-functional leadership and staff engagement
- Strong and confident leadership skills
- Proficiency working with diverse communities and with grassroots organizations
- Bilingual language skills and proficiency
- Analysis and problem solving
- Time management
- Organization skills
- Effective written and oral communication
- Self-motivated - proven ability to work independently
- Strategic thinking
- Leadership and empowerment
- Compassionate service
- Resolving conflict
- Fostering Teamwork
- Understanding of social justice issues and challenges facing immigrant communities, communities of color, and working class families
Compensation is commensurate with experience, with a salary range beginning at $100,000. We offer competitive pay and benefits, as well as a collaborative work environment with colleagues who are dedicated to social justice. To apply please provide a cover letter, resume, and three references (minimum of two professional references required) by completing this application process in the link below or sending the documents to [email protected].
Alliance San Diego is an equal opportunity employer that encourages all people to apply. Applicants shall not be discriminated against based on religion, race, color, national origin, ethnicity, age, gender, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, or any other basis prohibited by law.