Alliance San Diego is a community empowerment organization that is building a more inclusive democracy. Our mission is to empower diverse people and organizations to engage more effectively in our communities, and in the civic process, to create a San Diego where all people can achieve their full potential in an environment of harmony, safety, equality and justice. In so doing, we are making an impact at the local, state, and national level.
In its first ten years, Alliance San Diego has empowered and engaged underrepresented communities to create change and shape the future of San Diego and beyond. From changes in public discourse to changes in public policy, we have worked to ensure that affected community members have a seat at the decision-making tables and are fairly represented. We have done this with a full-time staff of twenty, thousands of canvassers and volunteers, and dozens of community partners.
We now seek a Civic Engagement Coordinator to build on our success in community and electoral organizing and position us for future success through expanding our outreach, education, and training. Reporting directly to the Associate Director and working closely with the civic engagement team, the Civic Engagement Coordinator will have a key role in advancing Alliance San Diego's mission and civic participation goals, providing leadership that creates a climate of change and empowerment of the communities we serve.
A strong candidate will have experience leading or organizing voter outreach campaigns, as well as experience in community organizing. An ideal candidate will also have knowledge and experience in utilizing new technologies, various organizing models, coalition movements, and designing and working effectively with a team. Experience with MS Office, PDI, NationBuilder and data entry, as well as great communication skills, is strongly desired. The ideal candidate will also possess effective leadership qualities and experience working with diverse and/or marginalized communities.
The Civic Engagement Coordinator reports to the Associate Director and will:
- Coordinate civic engagement programs and activities to advance civic engagement priorities
- Implement training and leadership development programs to empower staff and volunteers
- Coordinate outreach and contact with community groups and stakeholders
- Coordinate data input and targeting for outreach and mobilization
- Coordinate civic participation efforts and coalition meetings to meet ASD policy priorities and programs
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Associate's or Bachelor's degree preferred
- 3-4 years experience in electoral, ballot initiative, or political campaigns, with some relevant connection to community, labor, or other non-candidate politics
- Knowledge of local, state and federal and elected officials
- Experience leading grassroots and/or community organizing efforts
- Experience reporting and tracking results
- Experience in policy and issue advocacy
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Familiarity with political data, latest technologies, and best practices in the electoral organizing
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice issues and understanding of challenges facing immigrant communities, communities of color, and working families
- Proficiency working with diverse communities and with grassroots organizations
- Bi-lingual (Spanish or Tagalog) preferred
- Analysis and problem solving
- Time management
- Results-oriented and organized
- Effective communication
- Self-motivated proven ability to work independently
- Governmental and Legislative structures
- Strategic thinking
- Leadership and empowerment
- Compassionate service
- Resolving conflict
- Fostering Teamwork
Some overnight and out-of-town travel required. Salary is commensurate with experience. We offer competitive pay and benefits and a collaborative work environment with colleagues who are dedicated to social justice.
To apply please provide a cover letter, resume and three references (minimum of two professional references required) to the email address provided.
Alliance San Diego is an equal opportunity employer that encourages all people to apply. Applicants shall not be discriminated against based on religion, race, color, national origin, ethnicity, age, gender, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, or any other basis prohibited by law.