Alliance San Diego is a community empowerment organization building coalitions to bring change in local, state, and national policy. Our mission is to empower diverse people & organizations to engage more effectively in our communities, and in the civic process, to create a San Diego where all people can achieve their full potential in an environment of harmony, safety, equality and justice.
Alliance San Diego seeks an experienced and energetic person to manage and lead the Civic Engagement program. The Civic Engagement (CE) Manager will work closely with other Alliance staff (specifically with organizers and canvassers) to execute our signature civic engagement program, the Neighborhood Rising Project, as well as other civic engagement programs throughout the year. This position will work closely with the Associate Director to develop the strategy and planning necessary to achieve short-term and long-term civic engagement goals in alignment with the mission and vision of Alliance San Diego. The CE Manager will also work to strengthen ties to the community through representation in the communities we serve and on local/statewide coalitions.
A strong candidate will have experience leading field canvass teams, conducting issue-based grassroots organizing, and building/maintaining coalitions. The abilities to interpret civic engagement and political data, develop training and tools, as well as implement technology are strongly desired. This position will develop and implement strategies, field plans, and tactics with core partners to achieve the greatest success. The ideal candidate will have electoral field experience, effective leadership qualities, and experience working with diverse and/or marginalized communities.
The Civic Engagement Manager will report to the Associate Director and will:
- Manage and implement strategies and plans to achieve civic engagement goals;
- Manage, supervise, and develop Civic Engagement staff and volunteers;
- Plan and execute seasonal civic engagement programs;
- Manage community leadership development efforts; and
- Represent ASD at relevant coalitions and community meetings.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree required;
- At least 3 years experience in electoral work, civic engagement, or political campaigns, with relevant connection to community, labor, or other non-candidate politics;
- Experience managing issue campaigns;
- Experience developing grassroots and/or community leaders;
- Experience analyzing and reporting results;
- Experience in policy-based advocacy;
- Experience analyzing demographics;
- Experience supervising staff;
- Excellent writing and communication skills;
- Familiarity with political data, newest technologies, and best practices in the campaign field;
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice issues and understanding of challenges facing immigrant communities, communities of color, and low-and-moderate income families;
- Proficiency working with diverse communities and with grassroots organizations;
- Analysis and problem solving;
- Time management;
- Results-oriented and organized;
- Effective communication;
- Self-motivated – proven ability to work independently;
- Governmental and Legislative structures;
- Strategic thinking and Decision-making;
- Leadership and empowerment;
- Compassionate service;
- Resolving conflict;
- Fostering Teamwork
Some overnight and out-of-town travel required. Salary is commensurate with experience. We offer competitive pay and benefits and a collaborative work environment with colleagues who are dedicated to social justice.
To apply please provide a cover letter, resume and three references (minimum of two professional references required) to the email address email@example.com.
Alliance San Diego is an equal opportunity employer that encourages all people to apply. Applicants shall not be discriminated against based on religion, race, color, national origin, ethnicity, age, gender, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, or any other basis prohibited by law.