Alliance San Diego is a community empowerment organization that is working to build a more inclusive and just democracy. Our mission is to empower diverse people and organizations to engage more effectively in the civic process to bring about the change we need so that all people can achieve their full potential in an environment of harmony, safety, equality and justice.
The Southern Border Communities Coalition (SBCC) is made up of regional networks in California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas, who work together to engage in policy advocacy at the national level. The common goal is to increase the quality of life and protect the rights of people who live, work, and travel in the southern border region. Alliance San Diego provides staff to SBCC to advance its goals.
We now seek a Border Policy Advocacy Coordinator who will organize and coordinate support to advance the policy priorities of SBCC and border communities. This position is a key member of fast-paced and passionate teams at Alliance San Diego and SBCC.
A strong candidate understands policymaking at the national level and how to generate support for policies that benefit our diverse border communities. An ideal candidate has a curious and creative mind, exemplary attitude and exceptional work ethic. An ideal candidate has a background in policy and/or advocacy, as well as experience working in coalition. An ideal candidate has the organizational and analytical skills to monitor policies and convey information in a timely fashion. An ideal candidate is also passionate about, and has experience, working with border communities and/or marginalized communities.
The Border Policy Advocacy Coordinator will work with the border policy team at Alliance San Diego, reporting directly to the Border Policy Advisor in Washington, D.C. The primary responsibilities of the position are as follows:
- Coordinate advocacy strategies in D.C. that support SBCC’s priorities.
- Work with the Border Policy Advisor to cultivate relationships with congressional offices, caucuses, committees, and border office holders.
- Provide logistical support and preparation to border delegations and visits to D.C.
- Research policy initiatives, review legislative text, and write analyses of bill proposals.
- Support policy advisor in writing policy briefs, congressional testimonies, one-pager factsheets, sign-on letters, and other advocacy literature.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Associate’s degree or Bachelor’s degree required
- At least 1-3 years experience in policy / advocacy
- Experience working in coalition
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience in a fast-paced environment
- Experience using social media
- Proficiency in Word, Powerpoint, Excel, and Google equivalents
- Proficiency working with diverse communities and with grassroots organizations;
- Proficiency in written and/or spoken Spanish, a plus
- Analysis and problem solving
- Time management
- Organization skills
- Results-oriented and organized
- Effective communication
- Self-motivated – proven ability to work independently
- Strategic thinking
- Leadership and empowerment
- Compassionate service
- Resolving conflict
- Fostering Teamwork
- Understanding of social justice issues and challenges facing immigrant communities, communities of color, and working class families
Compensation is commensurate with experience. We offer competitive pay and benefits and a collaborative work environment with colleagues who are dedicated to social justice. To apply please provide a cover letter, resume and three references (minimum of two professional references required) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alliance San Diego is an equal opportunity employer that encourages all people to apply. Applicants shall not be discriminated against based on religion, race, color, national origin, ethnicity, age, gender, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, or any other basis prohibited by law.