Alliance San Diego is seeking applicants for its annual Neighborhoods Rising Institute (NRI), a summer leadership development program designed to empower and educate community leaders on local progressive efforts, best civic engagement practices, and social justice issues pertinent to moving San Diego in a progressive direction where all residents can achieve their full potential. We are seeking leaders who are interested in making a difference in their community.
NRI participants will attend learning sessions (5 days) and participate in a real community outreach operation (field component of 5 days). Participants will have an opportunity to engage residents in selected San Diego neighborhoods on local issues, gather feedback, encourage civic participation, and provide information on community resources available to them. Participants in the summer institute will receive a $500 stipend for their participation in the full program.
All participants will be selected through an application process to determine the best possible cohort. The deadline to apply is Tuesday, August 1st, 2017. Notifications of acceptance into the program will be made on Tuesday, August 8th, 2017. The program will begin Sunday, August 13th, 2017 and end on Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017. The hours of the program will be Sunday through Thursday 3:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. and Saturday 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Who makes the best participant?
- Life Experience: part of working class family, underrepresented communities, and/or residents of City Heights/Southeast San Diego.
- Skills/Qualities: Patience, good communication skills, people skills, desire to learn, Volunteer spirit, integrity, and commitment.
- Attitude: Collaborative, outgoing and positive, selfless, giving, authentic, and helpful.
- Knowledge: Awareness of issues that affect marginalized communities. Experience in organizing is a plus.
- Qualifications: Physically able to walk 2.5-4 miles per day, read and write in English, Bi-lingual is a plus (English required).
Please send applications, along with references to [email protected] (Please include NRI Applicant in subject field). For any additional information please email Alliance San Diego staff at [email protected]