Since inception, Alliance San Diego has supported working San Diegans and their families to achieve their full potential in an environment of harmony, safety, equality, and justice. We believe that every worker should be treated with dignity and respect, be paid a fair wage, and be provided the support they need to care for themselves and their families. For that reason, Alliance San Diego is engaged in the following:
- Providing information about COVID related resources to people who live and work in San Diego County. In 2021, we knocked on over 60,000 doors to help people in low-income areas schedule a vaccine, which contributed to high vaccination rates.
- Raising relief funds for immigrant workers unable to access government safety net services because of their legal status. Since the pandemic began, we have raised over $2 million and distributed over 3,000 relief grants directly to families. We were proud to do this work with our partners in the San Diego Immigrant Rights Consortium.
- Assisting working families with immigration services that include regular know-your-rights forums, application assistance, legal representation on immigration matters, and referrals as needed to connect families to the right resources.
- Mobilizing new and emerging voters to participate in our democracy. This includes new citizens, young voters, and working families whose voices are critical to the decision-making about issues that affect us all. The best decisions are made when the most people are heard, whether that’s in the halls of power or at the ballot box.
- Advocating for policies that lift up working families. In 2016, we led the field effort to increase the minimum wage and provide paid sick leave to workers in San Diego. Since then, we have continued to support policies at the local, state, and federal level that support working families, including policies that protect essential workers and provide a pathway to citizenship to undocumented immigrant workers.