For many people, 2017 will be a year of living their values and standing up for what they believe. And what better way to do it than celebrating the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. at the 29th All Peoples Celebration, which will take place on Monday, January 16, at the Balboa Park Activity Center.
While staying true to your values is one reason to join us, there are many more. The All Peoples Celebration features nationally recognized speakers, top local artists and musicians, and is an opportunity to celebrate everything that Dr. King stood for.
Here are five reasons to attend the 29th All Peoples Celebration:
1) Listen to Civil Rights leader Rev. William Barber II: Rev. Barber will be the keynote speaker of the event. He is a nationally recognized champion of civil rights, and a warrior for working families, LGBT communities and immigrants. He is known for his inspirational messages of how to move the country forward, and for his thunderous speeches that as one attendee put it, “will knock your socks off.” Read more about Rev. Barber.
2) Surround yourself with people who care about our communities: More than 1,000 people will attend the 2017 All Peoples Celebration. They will do so because they want to honor Dr. King, and be with people who envision a better place where everyone has the chance to live up to their greatest potential in an environment of equality, safety, harmony, and justice.
3) Network with more than 50 nonprofit organizations: The 2017 All Peoples Celebration includes a community space where you can access information and resources to give back and empower others. There are people and organizations that are out there doing good work, so find out what’s out here in San Diego for you to be involved in and help make it a better place.
4) Participate in our community art project: Our community art project is an interactive way to express yourself in a creative and impactful way. You’ll have a chance to leave a “mark” and bring light to darkness as a community comes together to ignite change, which is the theme of this year’s event.
5) Watch incredible performances!: The artists who perform on stage are people who are from San Diego and know what it’s like to live here. Every person on stage knows the importance of committing to the vision of Dr. King and being a part of that better tomorrow. They will perform to uplift and share the message of igniting change and taking part of something bigger than ourselves.
For more information visit the All Peoples Celebration event page and get your tickets now!