On October 5, 2017, Gov. Jerry Brown signed Senate Bill 54 into law! Because of your efforts, immigrant families in California will be better protected.
Effective in January of 2017, Senate Bill 54 will prohibit local and state law enforcement from engaging in the following:
- Placing immigration holds on individuals detained in local jails
- Making arrests on civil immigration warrants
- Enlisting in the 287g program, which trains local law enforcement officers in immigration enforcement
- Asking about immigration status or using immigration agents as interpreters
- Sharing personal information with ICE (e.g., work, home addresses)
While we celebrate this victory, there is more work to be done to ensure the safety of our immigrant brothers and sisters. DONATE NOW and help us continue the fight. Your tax-deductible contribution helps us mobilize communities to change policies that marginalize our families.