NOW HIRING: Volunteer Organizer
Alliance San Diego is a community empowerment organization that is building a more inclusive democracy. Our mission is to empower diverse people and organizations to engage more effectively in our communities, and in the civic process, to create a San Diego where all people can achieve their full potential in an environment of harmony, safety, equality and justice. In so doing, we are making an impact at the local, state, and national level.
In its first ten years, Alliance San Diego has empowered and engaged underrepresented communities to create change and shape the future of San Diego and beyond. From changes in public discourse to changes in public policy, we have worked to ensure that affected community members have a seat at the decision-making tables and are fairly represented. We have done this with a full-time staff of twenty, thousands of canvassers and volunteers, and dozens of community partners.
We now seek Volunteer Organizer to build on our success with recruiting, empowering and utilizing volunteer resources to affect change and position us for future success through development, marketing, and external relations. Reporting directly to the Advancement Director and working closely with the entire team, the Volunteer Organizer will have a key role in advancing Alliance San Diego’s mission and strategic goals, as well as being an ambassador to the greater community.
A strong candidate will have experience with volunteer recruitment and coordination, event management and logistics, and great personal skills. This position will also be responsible for providing administrative support, managing volunteer relations, and conducting community outreach. Experience with MS Office, NationBuilder and data entry, as well as great communication skills, is strongly desired.
The Volunteer reports to the Advancement Director and will be responsible to:
- Recruit, organize and schedule volunteer involvement in a variety of programs at Alliance
- Conduct orientations and trainings, supervise, evaluate, and celebrate volunteer contributions
- Maintain relationships, volunteer database and communicate regularly with volunteers
- Conduct outreach in the community to build base of ASD supporters
- Organize and support events for Alliance San Diego
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree required;
- At least 1-3 years experience in community or volunteer organizing;
- Experience in event organizing;
- Experience supervising individuals and groups;
- Experience working with community partners;
- Understanding of social justice issues and challenges facing immigrant communities, communities of color, and working class families;
- Proficiency working with diverse communities and with grassroots organizations;
- Analysis and problem solving;
- Time management;
- Organization skills;
- Results-oriented and organized;
- Effective communication;
- Self-motivated – proven ability to work independently
- Strategic thinking
- Leadership and empowerment;
- Compassionate service:
- Resolving conflict;
- Fostering Teamwork
Compensation is commensurate with experience. We offer competitive pay and benefits and a collaborative work environment with colleagues who are dedicated to social justice. Some weekend and evening work is required. To apply please send a cover letter, resume and three references (minimum of two professional references required) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alliance San Diego is an equal opportunity employer that encourages all people to apply. Applicants shall not be discriminated against based on religion, race, color, national origin, ethnicity, age, gender, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, or any other basis prohibited by law.