NOW HIRING: COMMUNICATIONS COORDINATOR - MEDIA / PUBLIC RELATIONS SPECIALIST
Alliance San Diego is a community empowerment organization building coalitions to bring change in local, state, and national policy. Our mission is to empower diverse people & organizations to engage more effectively in our communities, and in the civic process, to create a San Diego where all people can achieve their full potential in an environment of harmony, safety, equality and justice. In so doing, we are making an impact at the local, state, and national level.
In its first ten years, Alliance San Diego has empowered and engaged underrepresented communities to create change and shape the future of San Diego and beyond. From changes in public discourse to changes in public policy, we have worked to ensure that affected community members have a seat at the decision-making tables and are fairly represented. We have done this with a full-time staff of twenty, thousands of canvassers and volunteers, and dozens of community partners.
We now seek a Communications Coordinator to execute communications strategies, with a focus on media and public relations, across our programs. This position will be a key member of a fast-paced, passionate communications team, and will work closely with our Human Rights and Civic Engagement departments. The ideal candidate is a natural at connecting with people, understanding the media cycle and generating creative content that can rise above the noise. He or she will have a curious mind, exemplary attitude and exceptional work ethic.
We are looking for someone who, FIRST AND FOREMOST, is passionate and enthusiastic about social justice issues and committed to excellence in all areas of work. A strong candidate will understand the role of marketing and communications in changing policies at the local, state and national level; will have superb writing skills and be able to explain complex issues in simple ways, as well as understand the overlap between public relations, digital media and traditional media. The ideal candidate will be passionate about, and have experience working with, diverse and/or marginalized communities.
The Communications Coordinator will report to the Communications Director and will be responsible for:
- Support with public relations strategy
- Production of press releases and media statements
- Produce SEO driven media content such as blog posts, articles, op-eds, newsletters
- Coordination of media events and spokespeople
- Produce monthly media reports
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree required (major in communication or marketing preferred);
- At least 1-3 years experience in media and public relations;
- Excellent writing and communication skills (Candidate will be required to take a writing test);
- Experience in a fast paced environment;
- Proficiency working with diverse communities and with grassroots organizations;
- Analysis and problem solving;
- Time management;
- Organization skills;
- Results-oriented and organized;
- Effective communication;
- Self-motivated – proven ability to work independently;
- Strategic thinking;
- Leadership and empowerment;
- Compassionate service:
- Resolving conflict;
- Fostering Teamwork;
- Understanding of social justice issues and challenges facing immigrant communities, communities of color, and working-class families;
Compensation is commensurate with experience. We offer competitive pay and benefits and a collaborative work environment with colleagues who are dedicated to social justice. To apply please provide a cover letter, resume and three references (minimum of two professional references required) to email@example.com
Alliance San Diego is an equal opportunity employer that encourages all people to apply. Applicants shall not be discriminated against based on religion, race, color, national origin, ethnicity, age, gender, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, or any other basis prohibited by law.