Alliance San Diego is a community empowerment organization building coalitions to bring change in local, state, and national policy. Our mission is to empower diverse people & organizations to engage more effectively in our communities, and in the civic process, to create a San Diego where all people can achieve their full potential in an environment of harmony, safety, equality and justice.
Alliance San Diego seeks an experienced and energetic person to work in our Civic Engagement department. The Civic Engagement Organizer will work closely with other Alliance staff (specifically organizers and canvassers) to execute our signature civic engagement program, the Neighborhood Rising Project, as well as other civic engagement programs throughout the year. This position will work to achieve short-term and long-term civic engagement goals in alignment with the mission and vision of Alliance San Diego. The Civic Engagement Organizer will also work with the community and local/statewide coalitions through representation at meetings, events, and conferences.
A strong candidate will have experience in canvassing, issue-based grassroots organizing, and working with coalitions. The abilities to lead training, as well as use of latest technology are strongly desired. This position will implement strategies, field plans, and tactics with core partners to achieve the greatest success. The ideal candidate will have electoral field experience, effective leadership qualities, and experience working with diverse and/or marginalized communities.
The Civic Engagement Organizer reports to the Civic Engagement Manager and will:
- Organize community and stakeholder participation to advance civic engagement priorities
- Support Civic Engagement Manager to conduct seasonal civic engagement programs
- Identify, build relationships, and act as liaison to community groups and stakeholders
- Conduct leadership training of community members
- Design and facilitate community awareness events
Education and Experience Requirements:
- At least 1-2 years experience in electoral, civic engagement, or political campaigns, with some relevant connection to community, labor, or other non-candidate politics;
- Basic knowledge of local and state government and elected officials;
- Experience in grassroots and/or community organizing;
- Experience reporting and tracking results;
- Experience in advocating for policies that impact communities of color, low-income and immigrant communities;
- Excellent writing and communication skills;
- Familiarity with political data, latest technologies, and best practices in the field;
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice issues and understanding of challenges facing immigrant communities, communities of color, and low-and moderate income families;
- Proficiency working with diverse communities and with grassroots organizations;
- Bi-lingual (Spanish or Tagalog) preferred
- Analysis and problem solving;
- Time management;
- Results-oriented and organized;
- Effective communication;
- Self-motivated – proven ability to work independently
- Governmental and Legislative structures;
- Strategic thinking
- Leadership and empowerment;
- Compassionate service:
- Resolving conflict
- Fostering Teamwork
This is a part-time (20-30 hours/week), hourly and temporary position. It will terminate at the end of 2017. Some overnight and out-of-town travel required. Pay is commensurate with experience. We offer competitive pay and benefits and a collaborative work environment with colleagues who are dedicated to social justice.
To apply please provide a cover letter, resume and three references (minimum of two professional references required) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alliance San Diego is an equal opportunity employer that encourages all people to apply. Applicants shall not be discriminated against based on religion, race, color, national origin, ethnicity, age, gender, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, or any other basis prohibited by law.