NOW HIRING: ADVANCEMENT DIRECTOR
Alliance San Diego is a community empowerment organization that is building a more inclusive democracy. Our mission is to empower diverse people and organizations to engage more effectively in our communities, and in the civic process, to create a San Diego where all people can achieve their full potential in an environment of harmony, safety, equality and justice. In so doing, we are making an impact at the local, state, and national level.
In its first ten years, Alliance San Diego has empowered and engaged underrepresented communities to create change and shape the future of San Diego and beyond. From changes in public discourse to changes in public policy, we have worked to ensure that affected community members have a seat at the decision-making tables and are fairly represented. We have done this with a full-time staff of twenty, thousands of canvassers and volunteers, and dozens of community partners.
We now seek an Advancement Director to build on our initial success and position us for future success through development, marketing, and external relations. Reporting directly to the Executive Director and working closely with the senior team, the Advancement Director will have a key role in advancing Alliance San Diego’s mission and strategic goals, providing leadership that creates a climate of strong support and understanding of the organization and grows the resources necessary for our work.
A strong candidate will have experience leading or directing development efforts, as well as experience in marketing an organization and building donor relationships. An ideal candidate will also have experience in managing staff, designing and executing development and advancement strategies, as well as working effectively with a team. The ideal candidate will possess effective leadership qualities and experience working with diverse and/or marginalized communities.
The Advancement Director will report to the Executive Director and will:
- Serve on the senior management team to identify strategic opportunities to advance the mission of the organization and the resource needs to support and sustain it.
- Create and implement a strategic fundraising plan, focusing on best practices in processes and metrics to generate the levels of sustainable and diversified funding to advance support for the organization over time.
- Lead and develop a highly effective advancement team to implement a strategic plan that sustains and grows support for the organization and meets its resource, volunteer and other needs to advance its mission.
- Deploy an integrated individual donor program (annual campaign, major gifts, digital fundraising, events, planned giving, etc.) that is structured, disciplined, and organized to move donors along a giving and support continuum and focused on long-term relationships.
- Partner with the executive director, board of directors, and senior management team to build relationships with donors, foundations, volunteers, and other supporters; track and coordinate to understand and strengthen connections to the organization.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree required; additional training in development preferred.
- Minimum of 5+ years in development providing strategic direction, leadership, and operational management for development program.
- Proven track record of personally cultivating, closing, and stewarding major gifts.
- Demonstrated expertise in strategic planning and execution.
- Familiarity with fundraising platforms and data tracking tools; experience with Nation Builder preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in integrating traditional and digital marketing strategies to drive supporter interest, involvement, and investment.
- Experience in grant writing, reporting and management.
- Experience in analyzing and reporting on the impact of development programs.
- Demonstrated experience managing a team.
- Demonstrated experience working with diverse and/or marginalized communities.
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice issues and understanding of challenges facing immigrant communities, communities of color, and low-income families.
- Commitment to develop leadership in others
- Effective communication skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Time management
- Fostering teamwork
- Strategic thinking
- Analysis and problem solving
- Compassionate service
- Resolving conflict
- Proficiency working with diverse communities and with grassroots organizations
Some overnight and out-of-town travel required. Salary is commensurate with experience. We offer competitive pay and benefits and a collaborative work environment with colleagues who are dedicated to social justice.
To apply, please provide a cover letter, resume and three references (minimum of two professional references required) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alliance San Diego is an equal opportunity employer that encourages all people to apply. Applicants shall not be discriminated against based on religion, race, color, national origin, ethnicity, age, gender, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, or any other basis prohibited by law.
For more information about Alliance San Diego, visit www.alliancesd.org.